Do's and Don'ts of Chinese New Year
- Wear red as it is the colour of good luck
- Say good and auspicious words and phrases during the week of Chinese new year to encourage good luck throughout the year
- Say Gung Hei Fat Choy to everyone to wish everyone prosperity in the new year.
- Be generous
- use the number 8 as the number 8 sounds like prosperity in Chinese
- Clean the house the week before
- wear new clothes as newness= good luck
- give a clock. It is a bad omen and often interpreted as "Your time is up"
- buy a chicken without a head
- Cut your hair on new years day. Cutting hair = cutting wealth away as wealth and hair sound a like in Chinese language
- say anything about death, poverty, injuries, illnesses. Chinese people believe that saying bad things will cause them to happen.
- use the number 4, as the number 4 sounds like death in Chinese.
- At company dinners in china, the boss would rotate the dish of a whole chicken, whoever the chicken head points to will be fired at the end of the meal.
- Married couples give red pocket money to younger siblings, nephews and nieces.
- Some people would feel lucky and go to the casino for a go.